Idea better than execution
Edit: it seems I am kind of self- centered and believe my situation apply to all. For those who are not in same situation like me, give it a try maybe you will feel different. The support team kindly reply to my harsh critics and hope your app getting better!
Usually I don’t review but I think this app have so much potential I have to say something.
A financial app for couple is really something I needed for a very long time. Before I just use very simple app to log the expense, and calculate myself how much the other owes me. It’s not difficult math, but if we have some arguing with bill and need to go back and check the expense, I wish there is some app that could solve this not complicated problem.
So when I heard this app I immediately download it, and immediately find out some problem.
1. There any so many finance app out there with more function and better interface, I believe most people download this for the couple function, which is the split expense. However, this function is hidden from main screen and you need to find it. Yes, you could customize the tab and make it appear on main screen, still don’t know why hiding your top function from users.
2. Split expense is a little bit confusing. You can add an expense directly from split expense, which is great. But you can only enter the split amount, instead of the whole bill amount. I understand that for some expense is not just divided by 2, but I believe an extra option to enter the whole expense and let the app calculate for me will be easier, instead of I need to divide the bill by 2 myself, wondering why do I need this app if I still need to calculate it.
3. Still the split expense, the settle up balance is good, but if you don’t pay through this app and use mark as paid, you will not able to choose partial amount. The app will clear all the balance, and you need to edit the payment yourself, using the same screen as add a split expense which will make it very confusing. I think partial payment is a must and should be there in the beginning. Also, if Zelle and Cash could be supported by this app it will be great.
4. Transaction sometime need to loading forever. I mean literally forever because it stuck and you may close the app and reopen to see the transaction appear. At the same time, you are not able to see your previous transaction. Consider other app like Mint or Clarity take about 10 seconds to update and you are able to see the previous transactions, I wonder if this app re-download whole bank statement from the beginning every time, instead of just update the new one. Also, for an app focus on split expense, I think if there is a quick button on transaction to split it quicker.
5. The activity tab and balance tab you can’t hide. So consider put Split expense on main screen is a must, you only have one customized tab. If you need bill to show on main screen, you need to hide budget and notification. I kind of understand the app need activity to push ads, but I don’t think many people need keep their eyes on account balance all the time.
6. The activity tab. How do I put this, the article here is not looking like an “hard ad” to recommend a credit card or loan, it it still from other website. And the most awkward thing is, it keep showing article for newlyweds or wedding planning, with huge wedding pictures. And remember, you can’t hide activity tab, and you can’t snooze the article. So every time you open this app, you got this marriage reminder for you and your girlfriend/boyfriend. To my understanding, the people using this app should mostly be couple moved in together instead of marriage couple. So either these article is really not useful for marriage couple, or it is really annoying and put pressure to unmarried couple every time they open this app. I seriously don’t know what you guys want to achieve here. And also, this app push so much article you maybe see 2 of your expense and 3 articles.
7. Tip jar. I understand you need to make money, and I totally will buy. But instead of usually in app hard ads, or free trail, this app have a tip jar, and it is a main tab like the main function split expense. You can pay them through tip jar, but reminded the amount you choose is not one time thing, it’s a monthly charge. So if you think 3 dollar for an app with many article ads is not bad, consider it 3 dollar per month, which is the same as online banking with investing functions. Also, this tip jar pop out nearly every time you open the app. I don’t know if your investor really need their money back or something, but this look pretty bad for a new app with not perfect function.
To summary, I will still give a 5 star if the above problem are solved, and they are not even difficult at all. All of these problem, in my understanding, is this app want to do too much. It has a great idea of split expense between couple, but it want to be a whole package finance app such as Mint. To be honest, this app could only have split expense function and even without syncing with bank, I will still download and use it everyday. You have a great idea and please make it right.
At last, please please please DELETE those article in activity tab. I will grantee if I know I will see Marriage Planer article 5 times a day and my girlfriend will see that too, I will stop using this app in a week, even it functions perfectly.